What is Bruxism?
Bruxism is the grinding and clenching of the teeth that occurs during sleep and wake hours. It is an activity that has a devastating effect on the chewing system. Bruxism maybe caused by psychosocial factors such as stress and genetics, or by external factors such as smoking.
Damages caused by Bruxism
- Teeth wear
- Fractures on teeth, restorations and implants
- Pain in teeth and chewing muscles
- Difficulty in opening the mouth
- Pain or sensitivity in the jaw joint
- Loss of jaw bones and periodontal tissues
- Increase in muscle volume in chewing muscles
- Displacement of the jaw joint.
The problems caused by bruxism arise as a result of the application of more force than the physiological structures can. In healthy individuals, the teeth comes in contact only during swallowing, chewing, and pronouncing certain letters. On the other hand, teeth contact occurs in bruxists when teeth is in closed position and during forward-back and righ-left movements of the jaw.
You may be experiencing bruxism if you experience any of the following symptoms;
- Rhythmic contractions of jaw muscles
- Teeth grinding that makes your sleep partner feel uncomfortable
-Tight and painful jaw muscles
- Prolonged facial pain
- Damaged teeth, broken fillings, and gum wounds
- Swelling in the lower jaw due to pressure
If bruxism is caused by stress, therapy or relaxation techniques can help eliminate this problem. In addition, the following treatment methods are applied according to the patient's condition and level of bruxism.
- Night guard
- Replacing faulty old fillings and crowns
- Muscle relaxant medication
- Stress therapy
- Electroshock therapy
- Good sleep habits
- Surgical operation
If you are experiencing teeth grinding or clenching, you can book an appointment with Aydınlar Dentalspecialist using the form below. For further details, you can check our frequently asked questions, or you can send us your message using the same form.